2.1 Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction in Baku (AzUAC)
2.1.1 The ceremony of the official inauguration of the Avicenna Canter (June 2016):Following the delivery of equipment at the Avicenna centre and the training of 30 teachers and the permanent team (5 teachers and technicians), the production process of 15 modules in science and technology were launched).
The ceremony took place in very good conditions following a specific agenda. The participants of this ceremony were:
- The local authorities, the Ministry of Education and Higher Education
- The representative of the Delegation of the European Union to Azerbaijan
- The rectors of several universities
- Other officials
After the official speeches of the authorities, the Avicenna model and the development of the network in the Mediterranean, Arab countries, Africa and Central Asia were explained.
During the ceremony, the national television covered the event and broadcast a short presentation in the national 9 pm news. The sequence related to this event is still online on YOUTUBE.
2.1.2 Activities of Avicenna e-learning centre: – Implementation of a technical support for the producers in the Avicenna e-learning centre. This service will be provided by the three permanent technicians:
– to helping the teacher on the preparation of PPT presentations and possibly graphic objects or animations;
– Video recording of 20 mns teaching sequences;
– The production of exercises (from the platform) using the questions bank;
– Uploading of pedagogical sequences (on-line) and digital documents on the platform (use of the specific teaching space);
– Implementation of a plan to monitor the production process and use of human and technical resources;
– Assistance in the implementation of the quality assurance system for online content structured according to the Avicenne pedagogic model.
– Assistance to the Scientific Council for the evaluation of online content.
– Assistance on the procedure, methodology and evaluation rules using the standard form of the Avicenna UNESCO network.
– Follow-up of the intermediate evaluation sessions carried out by the permanent team of the Avicenna Centre and the pairs.
– Assistance to the permanent team on managing of all activities in the Avicenna e-learning centre.
2.1.3 Missions and meetings in the Avicenna e-learning centre :The Azerbaijan Avicenna Centre is now operational. More than five meetings were organized by SKYPE with the permanent staff of the Avicenna Centre. Discussions focused on:
– The production process;
– Author contracts for teachers who develop content;
– The contracts of the members of the permanent team;
– Technical aspects related to the management of the platform and the questions bank;
– Organization of a 3-day training workshop on quality assurance;
– Official creation of the Scientific Council for the evaluation and validation of content produced online;
– Launch of the first session of the content assessment process by the Scientific Council; – Participation in the official inauguration ceremony of the Avicenna Centre.
1.1. The second training workshop:
This advanced training of teachers of the permanent staff focused on the organization of the production of digital content, quality assurance and content evaluation as well as copyright and intellectual property. About twenty teachers attended the session (12 women and eight men).
1.2. Quality Assurance and Content Evaluation
Working sessions were organized by the permanent team of the Avicenna Centre and devoted to the implementation of the quality assurance process and evaluation of the contents produced by the university’s teachers, in particular:
- On the preparation of the specifications of a module of 20 hours to produce online. A model was given to them with all the details and explanations relating to the following points:
- To the structural use of the Avicenne pedagogical model;
- Identification of sessions and sequences;
- An implementation workplan;
1.3. Legal aspects of copyright and intellectual property:
A working meeting was organized with the lawyer of the university on the model of the author’s contract (UNESCO). This model is currently used by all Avicenna centres of the network.
The objective of these discussions on the meeting is to adapt the contract model to the country’s laws and use it for the process of producing online courses.
The specification document will be an appendix to the copyright contract that will be signed between the producer teacher (content developer) and the president / rector of the university.
2.1.4 IMPACT of the inauguration ceremony on the authorities of Azerbaijan, Ministry of Higher Education: A project presentation was made to the Deputy Minister and Departmental ICT experts. During the presentation of the project, a demonstration was shown of sequences produced by university teachers in Azeri language. The Deputy Minister and the expert informed us that this project will be highly useful as part of the political strategy for the development of the education system in Azerbaijan.
The ceremony had a very wide media coverage of communication at national and regional level.
The immediate impact of this communication is:
– At the national level: universities have requested to benefit from the Avicenna network. Two universities have already been selected, Polytechnic University and the Institute of Petroleum in Baku.
– At the regional level:
* In KAZAKHSTAN, the national university (in Almaty) has also expressed its wish to join the Avicenna network in Central Asia.
* In UZBEKISTAN, the National University in Tashkent and the University of Bukhara have in turn asked Natcom to benefit from the regional Avicenna network.
* Informal discussions were held with the Azerbaijan delegation to see the opportunities to respond to these new national (Azerbaijan) and regional (Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan) requests.